Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love all different kinds of chili! Last year I entered this into our corporate cook-off and I won for a non-traditional chili similar to this one.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb great northern bean (soaked in water overnight)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cups chicken, diced cooked
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & diced
- 2 chili peppers, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt (to taste)
- Simmer beans, half the onions, and half the garlic for 2 hours in the chicken stock or until the beans soften, stirring frequently. Add chicken and salsa.
- Saute pepper, spices, and the remaining onions and garlic in the oil and add to the chili.
- Simmer for one more hour.
- Garnish with sour cream, Monterey Jack cheese and fresh chopped cilantro.
This chili was AWESOME, and I thought it was even better than Ruby Tuesday's. I wanted it fast, so I used canned great northern beans and prechopped jalapenos. I replaced the chili peppers with a small can of chopped chilies. It was excellent, and it also freezes well. I just finished the last of my first batch, so I plan on making it again tomorrow.
LOVE IT!!!! I have tried different variations on this to. More so to sneak veggies in it for my daughter... hubby too, (shhhh dont tell) I added carrots, celery and any other veggies i want to use up that are in the fridge. I even added yellow squash, and zoo-chin-knee *what my daughter calls it* Its soo good, it keeps well adn freezes well too. Its great to serve with tostios chips too.
We all loved this, was a nice change from regular chili. Thank you for a new great dish!