Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is for serious garlic lovers! Plan ahead the chicken needs to be refrigerated for 5 hours before cooking.
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 14 large whole fresh garlic cloves, peeled and divided (can use less or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (can use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Season the inside cavity of the chicken with about 1 teaspoon seasoned salt or white salt (or to taste) then place 10 whole garlic cloves inside the cavity; truss with skewers then tie legs together with cotton butcher's string.
- Fold the wings under.
- Slice the remaining 4 garlic cloves in half using a knife then slip the 8 halves under the skin of the chicken (you can use less garlic if desired).
- In a bowl whisk/combine melted butter, oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt and paprika.
- Brush the outside of the chicken all over with the melted butter mixture.
- Place in a glass dish; cover with plastic and refrigerate for 5 hours (the butter will harden in the fridge but will melt when cooking, chill no more than 5 hours or the lemon will start to "cook" the chicken).
- Place the chicken on the rotisserie spit/rod.
- Cook until for about 1-1/2 hours or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.