Slow Roasted Whole Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (can use less)
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) whole chickens
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- In a small bowl mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Rinse the chicken and inside cavity under cold water, then pat dry using paper towel.
- Rub the chicken all over with oil.
- Rub the inside cavity with minced garlic, then season with white salt (or you may use the spice mixture for the cavity).
- Rub the outside of the chicken all over with the spice mixture.
- Place in a glass dish cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate for up to 8-24 hours.
- Set oven to 275°F.
- Place the chicken in a greased roasting pan, then place the onion quarters inside the cavity.
- Bake uncovered for about 4-1/2 hours or until very tender.
- Tent the cooked chicken with foil and let rest 15 minutes before carving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for Sunday dinner and couldn't believe how easy it was to make! I only marinated it for 8 hours but will marinade it for 24 hours next time. The chicken was absolutely delicious and had enough pan drippings (plus 1 cup of chicken stock) to make gravy. I put fingerling potatoes in a separate dish tossed with fresh rosemary and olive oil the last hour of baking. I also put in a pan of cubed butternut squash sprinkled with about 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and dotted it with 1 Tbls. of butter at the same time. Thank you Kittencal for a great recipe!