1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a traditional Romanian dip that goes great with crusty bread. It is pretty mild in flavor and appropriate for pretty much any crowd.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and pre-soak beans.
- 2In large pot boil pre-soaked beans and enough water to cover and cook over medium heat until soft, about an hour. Check every so often and add water as needed.
- 3While beans cook chop and saute one of the onions in oil over medium-low heat in a large frying pan. Stir frequently and cook until caramelized and a light golden color. Do not burn.
- 4Cut second onion in half.
- 5Once beans are tender add the second onion, salt, garlic and carrot.
- 6Continue to cook, adding water as needed, for 30 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and discard onion. If a few bits are left in it is ok.
- 8Drain water from bean mixture, but reserve liquid for later.
- 9Mash beans and carrot (you can use a food processor if you want it really smooth). If too dry to mash add some of the reserved cooking water.
- 10Stir all but 2 spoonfuls of the onion mixture to the bean mash as well as the tomato sauce.
- 11Taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
- 12Serve garnished with the last of the onion.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Romanina Bean Dip (Fasole Batuta)
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 20.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 829.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: