Recipe by Enjolinfam
This recipe was given to me by my good Romanian friend, Carmen Witzig. She taught a cooking class with some Romanian dishes and this was one of them. It tasted really nice when she made it though I haven't tried cooking it myself yet.
Top Review by LilKiwiChicken
Made this the other night with some of the last granny smith's off our tree. I was a bit worried about the cup of oil - that's a lot - but it didn't taste oily or anything. The pastry was unusual, quite tasty but I could see how this could be doughy if you rolled it out too thickly. I made it in a cast iron pan so I don't think it mattered as this meant it went nice and brown on top & bottom around the same time. I liked the fact that this didn't have a lot of sugar so the flavour of the apples really sang. I will make this again but might try it with less oil, just for health reasons. Made for ZWT4.
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup vanilla sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (use only if you don't use vanilla sugar)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup oil
- 1 -2 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 -6 cups cake flour
- 8 -10 apples, grated
- 2 -4 tablespoons breadcrumbs, plain and blended until fine
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the baking soda in the lemon juice or vinegar. Then mix the flour and baking soda mixture together in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, vanilla, and egg(s) until you have a paste. Pour the oil into the paste gradually while stirring.
- Pour the mixture of egg, sugar, and oil into the large bowl with the flour and baking soda that has already been mixed. Add milk and continue stirring until you obtain an elastic dough.
- Divide the dough into two halves. Roll one half and place it carefully on an oiled baking dish (I use an 8x13 dish).
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the dough in the pan (reserve 1 Tbsp of bread crumbs for the next step) and then spread the grated apples evenly over the bread crumbs.
- Over the apples evenly sprinkle 1 Tbsp of sugar, 1 Tbsp of cinnamon, and the reserved Tbsp of bread crumbs.
- Roll out the other half of dough, lay it on top, and press on the sides until sealed.
- Bake at around 350°F until it's nicely brown (about 30-35 minutes). After it cools sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.