Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have had this recipe for years, and around Fall my boys start asking for this particular cake!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup oil (or 1/2 c.oil,1/2 c. applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups apples (peeled, cored, sliced or cubed)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (chopped) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter (I melt it in microwave)
- Mix all ingredients except apples til smooth. You can do it in the 9 x 13 pan if you like. Then stir in apples. Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle toppping on cake, and bake for 45 minutes. Topping will be deep brown and bubbling.
This looked sooo good that I really wanted to try it, however, I had to tweek slightly to make it gluten free; I replaced ordinary flour with my own gf flour mix #438139 and 1/2 a teaspoon of xanthan gum and it was as delicious as I expected it to be. Thank you for sharing.
My daughter found this recipe for a special project at school when they were studying Rome. She got an A and she has made it countless amounts of time since. We double the topping which makes it even more yummy!! Thanks!!!!!