Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I wish I had a nickel for every time I was either asked to make this salad for a gathering, or asked for the recipe for it! The dressing is irresistable! A good description for this is a Caesar Salad gone balistic. It travels well too; I prepare all the ingredients, except the avocado, and pack in separate containers and just assemble it when I get to my destination. So much of this can be done ahead of time that it makes this recipe an excellent choice for a dinner party. Plan on having copies of the recipe available because you will be asked for them! I found this recipe in the Sunset CookBook of Favorite Recipes II.
- 1 large romaine lettuce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 very fresh egg
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup seasoned croutons, purchased or homemade
- Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces, you should have about 12 cups.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Combine garlic and salt in a small bowl and mash with the back of a spoon into a paste, or (and this is what I do), mash with a mortar and pestle and transfer to a bowl.
- Mix garlic paste with lime juice, add egg* and beat until foamy.
- Stir in mayo and worcestershire.
- This can be made ahead, just cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, peel, pit and dice avocado.
- In a large salad bowl, combine avocado, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, onions and croutons.
- Stir dressing and pour over salad then toss until well mixed.
- *If you are pregnant or nursing, or have a compromised immune system you may want to consider using a purchased pasteurized egg product.
I really enjoyed this salad and dressing, but I have to admit I left out the egg.(I'm just a chicken I guess!) It is a nice change from the sweet and sour dressing I usually make. Thanks for posting this!
Fantastic!!!! I doubled the recipe and made it ahead of time to make things easier....guests licked their plates!!!! Forgot to add the parmesan cheese and it was still ridiculously good:)