1/4 Photos of Rogan Josh
2 hrs 30 mins
In Madhur Jaffery's Indian Cookery, lamb or beef was recommended but I have done it with chicken before now, and it was just as nice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cm fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 tablespoons water
- 275 -425 ml water
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kg boneless lamb shoulder or 1 kg stewing beef or 1 kg diced chicken
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 2 1/2 cm cinnamon sticks
- 4 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Put the ginger, garlic, and 4 tablespoons of water into the blender. Blend well until you have a smooth paste.
- 2Heat oil in a wide heavy pot over a medium heat, brown the meat cubes in serveral batches and set to one side.
- 3Put the cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, peppercons and cinnamon into the same hot oil. stir once and wait until the cloves swell and the bay leaves begin to take on colour.
- 4Now put in the onions. Stir and fry for 5 minutes until they turn a medium brown colour.
- 5Put in the ginger garlic paste and stir for 30 seconds.
- 6Add the coriander, cumin, paprika-cayenne, and salt. Stir and fry for 30 seconds.
- 7Add the fried meat cubes and juices.
- 8Stir for 30 seconds, now add 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, stir until well blended .
- 9Add the remaining yoghurt, a tablespoon at a time in the same way. Stir and fry for another 3 minutes.
- 10Now add 275ml of water if your cooking lamb or chicken and 425ml of water if your cooking beef. Bring to the boil, scraping all the browned spices off the sides and bottom of the pot. Cover and cook on low for an hour if your cooking chicken or lamb and 2 hours if cooking beef, (or until meat is tender.).
- 11Every 10 minutes give the meat a good stir. When the meat is tender take off the lid, turn the heat up to medium, and boil away some of the liquid.
- 12All the fat that collects in the pot may be spooned off the top.
- 13Sprinkle the garam masala and black pepper over the meat before you serve and mix them inches.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rogan Josh
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1041.4
- Calories from Fat 802
- Total Fat 89.2 g
- Saturated Fat 28.2 g
- Cholesterol 182.9 mg
- Sodium 756.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 44.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: