Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 cups sugar, divided
- food coloring (optional)
- candy flavoring
- 3 lengths of string (6-inch)
- * Candy flavoring is carried by a lot of grocery stores, near the baking aisle with candy-making and cake decorating supplies.
- Bring the water to a boil in the saucepan.
- Remove from heat; add 3 cups of sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Slowly add the remaining sugar, reheating the water if necessary.
- When all the sugar is dissolved, pour the mixture into 3 heat proof jars or glasses.
- Stir 3 drops of liquid food coloring and 1/2 teaspooon candy flavoring into each jar.
- Tie each length of string around a pencil.
- Lay one string on top of each jar so the strings hang down into the liquid.
- Crystals will begin to form in 1 hour, and continue to solidify for several days.
- If a layer forms on the surface of the jar, break it.
- When liquid completely evaporates, candy is ready.
hey, we did this in 6th grade science class! but there is something you can do to mess it up, it's very simple but i cant remember what it is. i've also done this with my nieces. fun for kids with a little patience
I had my niece and nephews over and we decided to try out hand at making this. The kids had fun mixing the colors and I had fun showing them what to do. They each went home with a baggie full of candy. I thought their mothers were going to kill me for making them all sugar candy, but I look at it like this...It was something memorable for us all to do together and we all had fun!
This was tasty and easy to do, though I moved the string too soon and it didn't come out of the heat-proof canning jars I used. I then had to chip it all out to get at the candy. The next batch I made I used flat, greased pans. Then as it cooled, I poured it onto wax paper. They didn't make long chunks of candy but individual crystals. That was fine with me because I was looking for a space rock kind of looking candy and that's what I got. I also colored the candy with food coloring for a cool effect. Neato!