Developed for the RSC#7 contest, I believe this is a winner! Roasted eggplant, onions and peppers with a creamy yogurt feta dressing will delight the senses!
Roasted Vegetable Filling
- 1 cup eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (you may use green)
- 1 small onion, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 -4 pita pockets, halves
Creamy Feta Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons milk (soy is okay)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Prepare and cut the vegetables. Combine in a mixing bowl all of the above ingredients, except the tomatoes, basil leaves, dressing, and pita halves. You may leave the chickpeas out, if you wish.
- Toss vegetable mixture to lightly glaze the vegetables with olive oil.
- Spoon vegetable mixture onto a broiler pan or cookie sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Broil 5 minutes, add tomatoes and basil leaves to vegetable mixture and stir. Baste with additional marinade and broil for an additional 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender and lightly browned. Tomatoes and basil should be just warmed; if you prefer the tomato softer, add with vegetable mixture at the beginning.
- Prepare the dressing while vegetables are broiling.
- Divide the vegetable mixture evenly between pita halves. Drizzle with Creamy Feta Dressing. Serve.
- Creamy Feta Dressing:.
- Combine all ingredients except the dill into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Scrape the sides of the blender as needed. Add more milk as needed to get a consistency that is rather thin and pourable.
- Pour into a bowl and sir in dill. Add more lemon juice if a tangier taste is preferred. Enjoy! This makes enough for 2-4 servings.
I love this recipe; it's easy to prepare, it can be made a head of time, it's vegetarian and it's delicious! I often serve it as an appetizer with pita chips. I use basil olive oil to boost the flavor.
This is so good, had this for lunch. It's quick to make too and we sure were satisfied! We had leftover feta dressing which btw is equally delicious, so that means I'll be making this again tonight! Thanks! Made for PF's potluck.
ZWT4: Delicious!! I love the creamy feta dressing!!