Recipe by Sharon123
Developed for the RSC#7 contest, I believe this is a winner! Roasted eggplant, onions and peppers with a creamy yogurt feta dressing will delight the senses!
Top Review by JuleF
I love this recipe; it's easy to prepare, it can be made a head of time, it's vegetarian and it's delicious! I often serve it as an appetizer with pita chips. I use basil olive oil to boost the flavor.
Roasted Vegetable Filling
- 1 cup eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (you may use green)
- 1 small onion, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 -4 pita pockets, halves
Creamy Feta Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons milk (soy is okay)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare and cut the vegetables. Combine in a mixing bowl all of the above ingredients, except the tomatoes, basil leaves, dressing, and pita halves. You may leave the chickpeas out, if you wish.
- Toss vegetable mixture to lightly glaze the vegetables with olive oil.
- Spoon vegetable mixture onto a broiler pan or cookie sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Broil 5 minutes, add tomatoes and basil leaves to vegetable mixture and stir. Baste with additional marinade and broil for an additional 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender and lightly browned. Tomatoes and basil should be just warmed; if you prefer the tomato softer, add with vegetable mixture at the beginning.
- Prepare the dressing while vegetables are broiling.
- Divide the vegetable mixture evenly between pita halves. Drizzle with Creamy Feta Dressing. Serve.
- Creamy Feta Dressing:.
- Combine all ingredients except the dill into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Scrape the sides of the blender as needed. Add more milk as needed to get a consistency that is rather thin and pourable.
- Pour into a bowl and sir in dill. Add more lemon juice if a tangier taste is preferred. Enjoy! This makes enough for 2-4 servings.