Recipe by Sharon123
A recipe from the Golden Door developed by chef Tracy Ritter and sous chef Steven Pernetti. Enjoy this traditional turkey for Thanksgiving or anytime!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
We baked another turkey breast yesterday -- mostly for sandwiches. I placed the veggies under the turkey breast (didn't use the fennel) and then basted with your wonderful glaze. The turkey was moist and the flavor was wonderful. Will definitely use this recipe again for sure. Made for PRMR, December, 2013.
- 1 bunch celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 heads fennel, chopped (optional)
- 2 leeks, white part only,sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 12 lbs turkey, cleaned
- 4 ounces frozen apple juice concentrate
- 4 ounces water or 4 ounces white wine
- 6 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces lemon juice or 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bottom of a roasting pan large enough to hold the turkey, combine celery, carrots and onions.
- In a small bowl combine fennel (if using), leeks, sliced orange and basil.
- Toss to mix.
- Place mixture in cavity of turkey.
- Place turkey on top of vegetables or on a rack over vegetables to cook.
- Make glaze: In a small bowl combine apple juice concentrate, water, orange juice, lemon or lime juice and soy sauce.
- Set aside.
- Place turkey in a preheated 400* oven 1/2 hour, then lower temperature to 350* and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until an internal temperature of 180* to 185* is reached.
- After first half hour of cooking, baste bird every 10 to 15 minutes with glaze mixture.
- Remove turkey from oven and allow it to rest 20 minutes before carving.
- While turkey is resting, pour off all pan juices into a"de-fatting cup" and allow juices to separate from fat.
- When separated, carefully pour into a serving pitcher or gravy boat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place turkey on a platter for carving.
- Note: Removal of all skin before serving will lower fat content of each portion.
- Makes 12 servings.