1/1 Photo of Roasted Tomato Soup With Fresh Basil
1 hr 30 mins
maryL in Canada's Note:
This is a recipe from the free LCBO magazine that is published 6 times a year and is only available at liquor stores in Ontario.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -10 large roma tomatoes
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Core tomatoes; slice in half lengthwise and place cut side up on large baking sheet that has sides.
- 3Place unpeeled garlic cloves in centre area of pan.
- 4Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and roast uncovered, for 45 minutes or til lightly brown and very soft.
- 5Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot.
- 6Cook stirring often for about 5 minutes or til softened.
- 7Pour stock in and the rice.
- 8Bring to a boil, stirring often, cover and reduce heat so mixture simmers for 25 minutes or til rice is very soft.
- 9Add tomatoes and garlic squeezed from peels into stock; simmer 10-15 minutes.
- 10Puree in batches in food processor or blender.
- 11Sieve soup, discarding solids. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in basil, taste and more seasonings as needed. Reheat. Serve
- 12with a swirl whipping cream or sour cream and a grinding of pepper.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Soup With Fresh Basil
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 474.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 4.2 g