1/2 Photos of Roasted Tomato Soup
Basic tomato soup, based on one by Martha Rose Shulman, from (I think) the NY Times. Yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put a rack at the highest possible place in the oven. Preheat the broiler.
- 2Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and put the tomatoes on it so they don't touch. Broil 2 - 6 minutes, till the tomatoes char on top, then turn and repeat.
- 3Remove from oven and put the tomatoes in a big bowl. Tip any juice form the pan into the bowl. When cool enough to handle, peel the tomatoes and break them up with your hands.
- 4Heat the oil in a soup pot and saute onions and garlic over medium heat till they're beginning to turn golden.
- 5Add sugar, tomatoes, basil, parsley, thyme, bread and salt. Cook, stirring often, till the tomatoes have cooked down and the mixture is thick and beginning to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- 6Puree, using an immersion blender. (The original recipe says to strain here -- but nothing went through my strainer, so I'm skipping it!).
- 7Add water and heat till simmering.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.0
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 681.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: