1/2 Photos of Roasted Tomato Soup
1 hr 10 mins
I watched Tyler Florence make this soup on his show and could not wait to fix this. I don't think I will ever again buy a can of tomato soup. This is easy and awesome. I paired this with Grilled 3 Cheese Sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh tomatoes (mix of fresh heirlooms, cherry, vine and plum tomatoes)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 small yellow onions, sliced
- on the vine cherry tomatoes (to garnish) (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1Preheat oven to 450º F.
- 2Wash, core and cut tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes, garlic and onions onto a baking tray. If using vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, add them as well, leaving them whole and on the vine. Drizzle with 1/2 cup olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until caramelized.
- 3Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot (reserve vine cherry tomatoes for later). Add 3/4 of the chicken stock, bay leaves and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third.
- 4Wash and dry basil leaves. Add to pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add half and half and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish in bowl with 3 or 4 roasted vine cherry tomatoes and a splash of half and half.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.9
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 71.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 6.2 g