Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
My own creation after many trials and errors. The key here is the roasted garlic; it really gives the recipe a robust flavour. The result is a sweet, lovely and flavourful sauce.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut top 1/4 off garlic head and cut around to expose as many cloves as possible.
- Drizzle with olive oil and place on a baking dish or in a roasting pan (I usually roast vegetables along side it because it makes the vegetables nice and garlicky).
- Place whole red pepper in dish and place in oven.
- Roast for 1 hour or until cloves are soft and mushy inside (you should be able to squeeze a clove and have all the garlic goodness come right out).
- Place red pepper in plastic ziploc bag and seal, let sit about 10-15 minutes or until it cools and is easy enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, pour can of diced tomatoes in blender.
- Add balsamic vinegar, salt, sugar and red pepper flakes.
- Squeeze cloves out of garlic head (you can leave the skins on).
- Once pepper has cooled, peel off skin (it should come right off), cut open, take out seeds and remove stem
- Place pepper in blender.
- Puree mixture until blended.
- Stir in cornstarch.
- Heat up on stove when ready to eat or store in container and freeze for later.
Simple, easy to prepare sauce with good flavour. Made for Pick A Chef Fall 2011. :)
We enjoyed this very much!!Will make again,tripled then froze in seperate containers.Thanks.