Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious side dish from "Mediterranean Cooking".
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, small and firm
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, cut into chunks
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F Peel the potatoes, cut into quarters, and rinse with water.
- To ensure that the potatoes remain crisp, they should be completely dry before cooking.
- Place the butter and oil in a roasting pan and place in the oven to heat.
- When the butter has melted and is foaming, add the potatoes, red onions, garlic and rosemary.
- Toss well and then spread out in a single layer.
- Place the pan in the oven and roast for about 25 minutes until the potatoes are golden and tender when tested with a fork.
- Shake the pan from time to time to redistribute the potatoes.
- When they are cooked through, season with salt and pepper.
- Note: Salt the potatoes a few minutes before the end of cooking, as this will help them retain their shape.
How can you go wrong with potatoes, onions and garlic. I did leave out the butter but doubled the garlic. Thanks for such a simple and delicious recipe. Made for Tag it Red, February 2009.
Great combination of flavors - I always love garlic with potatoes and with the added rosemary & onion it is even better. Very enjoyable recipe thanks Pianolady
So delicious and so simple, this has become a staple in my house. I now double the recipe and use the leftovers for saturday breakfast adding sauteed red and green bell pepper. I have also just used olive oil without the butter, but the potatoes dont seem to get as golden... Thanks for this easy !fast! recipe, pianolady.