Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yet another from my treasure trove of old recipes newly found. I really cannot even guess where this dish came from, but I know why it was saved among the TrTr. DH views potatoes as a nearly religious requirement of every meal & I view garlic as 1 of God's greatest food gifts to mankind. I hope you will see things our way, try it & enjoy!
- 6 -8 potatoes (washed, unpeeled & cut into 1-in chunks)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 18 -20 garlic cloves (peeled & sliced, about 1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Put 3 tbsp olive oil in the bottom of a 9x13 in baking dish & heat in oven for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes & toss to coat w/oil. Roast potatoes (turning occ) for 30-35 min or till tender.
- While potatoes are baking, prepare garlic sauce: In a sml skillet, heat remaining 3 tbsp olive oil & add sliced garlic cloves. Cover & cook over very low heat for 7-10 min or till garlic is tender.
- Sprinkle w/sugar & stir till garlic is caramelized. Add balsamic vinegar, white wine & basil & simmer for 2 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over roasted potatoes, sprinkle w/ground black pepper & parsley & serve immediately.
My family raved about this dish all evening long. I used Yukon gold potatoes, and they were still a little too crunchy after 45 minutes, so next time I'll cut them smaller or use a different variety of potato. The garlic/balsamic sauce tossed with the potatoes really made those potatoes so flavorful though. And being so simple to prepare will ensure that this shall be a staple potato recipe in my house. Thanks for sharing your recipe, twissis. Made for your awesome week 14 win in the 2013 Football Pool.
I am not putting any stars because I don't want to change the ratings. Made this as written except the grocery store had no basil in stock so I had to use dried basil. Maybe this was the problem because we had seven people sit down for dinner and no one liked the potatoes. Thanks anyway.
MMMMMM! wanted some grilled potatoes that had more than just onions and butter on them. Looked for something with balsamic vinegar and this was perfect!! may add a little bit of cayenne pepper next time!!