Recipe by Saint Ambrose
I like to slow cook my chili "chuck wagon" style... with cubed round steak rather than ground beef.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup black coffee
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like Mr. Stubbs)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 dried ancho chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3⁄4 lb round steak, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 ear of corn
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the black beans and corn) in a crock pot. You can easily substitute a pre-made chili spice mix for the dried spices.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shuck the corn and roast it on an open flame until kernels are tinged brown and black.
- Cool and cut corn off the cob.
- In last hour of cooking, add black beans and corn to heat through.