My favorite comfort food on a cold day. It makes your house smell amazing! It makes a huge batch, however can be 1/2ed or doubled easily depending on your groups size. You can used leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken too, great way to use up leftover meats and veggies. I serve this with my Loaded Foccacia Bread and everyone's happy! I made the seasoning amounts a little vague because you should taste the soup as you season so it works according to your tastes.
- 4 quarts water
- 1⁄3 cup chicken base
- 3 cups cubed leftover roasted chicken
- 2 -3 cups chopped celery
- 2 small chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped baby carrots
- 1⁄3 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 16 ounces cavatappi pasta (I never substitute this one because it traps all the juice and veggies making it a very hearty soup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground sage
- Place water in a large pot. Add the chicken base and stir well.
- Add all vegetables and turn on medium heat, bringing to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer.
- Cook for about 30 minutes add seasoning and bring back to a boil.
- Dump in pasta and cook till tender/firm.
- Add the diced chicken and cook about 5 more minutes.
- Freezes well.