Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The original recipe used jarred roasted red bell peppers, but I chose to turn the recipe bell-y up, and subbed fresh roasted red and yellow bell peppers! From Mom's CURVES' magazine. Substitute yams for the sweet potatoes if you wish. The sweet potatoes/yams are a good balance-offsetting any bitterness from the bell peppers. Time to hit the farmers' market for this project!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 leeks, washed well and thinly sliced
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium or no-sodium broth) or 5 cups chicken broth (low sodium or no-sodium broth)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or 2 yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roasted (read *NOTE)
- 1 medium yellow bell peppers or 1 medium orange bell pepper, roasted
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
- *NOTE: See my recipe #136402 for easy instructions on how to roast bell peppers.
- In a large pot heat up the olive oil on medium heat and saute the leeks until tender.
- Add the broth, sweet potatoes (or yams), and bell peppers. Cook mixture until the sweet potatoes are soft, approximately 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup to desired consistency. Stir in the oregano.
- Ladle soup into 4 soup bowls and garnish with the fresh dill!
- For Vegan omit the chicken broth.
I used this as a inspiration and base recipe with several changes and additions....Thanks for the great starting point! Yummy soup!