Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Tenderloin of beef, seasoned with thyme and garlic, pan-seared, then oven roasted; sliced & served with sautéed shitake mushrooms in a bourbon sauce. From the Atrium Restaurant in the Snow King Resort. Goes great with a side of potatoes. The bourbon shitake sauce is also delicious over pan fried chicken breasts.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) center-cut beef tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (leaves only)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Bourbon Shitake Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 red onions, julienned
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon (sour mash whiskey)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Trim tenderloin of fat and remove silverskin.
- Rub beef all over with garlic and coat with thyme.
- In a hot skillet, sear tenderloin on all sides in oil.
- Remove from skillet and place in a large roasting pan in the oven to roast until done (internal temp of 115°-120°F for rare to med-rare; 25-30 minutes).
- In skillet, over med-high heat, sauté onions, garlic, and thyme in butter for 2-3 minutes (onions should still be firm).
- Add mushrooms, bourbon, salt and pepper, and sauté until mushrooms are tender (do not overcook).
- Let tenderloin rest for several minutes before slicing.
- Slice and serve with mushroom sauce.