Roasted Beef Tenderloin
photo by Barenakedchef
- Ready In:
- 4 -5 lbs beef tenderloin roast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup of baby portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup porcini mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- &frac 14 cup cold water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- Prepare the meat by trimming all the excess fat making sure you slice off the tough shiny silverskin which runs along the surface of the tenderloin.
- Rub the olive oil all over the beef.
- In a small bowl mix the oregano, basil, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Rub the herb mixture all over the meat .
- In a large frying pan sear the meat on all sides until a nice crust appears.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the beef on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and roast uncovered for about 40 minutes turning once during the cooking.
- Remove beef from the oven and let stand around 20 minutes before slicing. Roast should be medium-rare.
- Meanwhile in a large frying pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Sauté the onions, garlic an mushrooms for 8 to 10 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- In a small bowl mix the cornstarch and water then mix into the mushrooms.
- Gradually stir in the beef broth and stir for about 2 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Blend in the Dijon mustard and tomato paste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!