Serve heartily with Spaetzle and Red Cabbage.
Make and share this Roast-Top Round Sauerbraten recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ounces larding pork, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 lbs top round roast
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- flour, for dredging meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, sliced thin
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raisin
- 6 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons flour
- LARDING: Mix larding pork with onion, lemon rind, allspice and salt and pepper. Cut deep incisions into meat with larding needle (flavoring syringe), press some of pork and onion mixture into needle and insert into meat. Continue to lard meat in the same manner until all larding pork is used. Rub remaining onion mixture over meat.
- MARINADE: Bring all marinade ingredients to a rapid boil in a heavy saucepan and simmer 5 minutes. Place meat in large heatproof, non-metallic bowl. Pour in hot marinade, cool to room temperature and chill, covered for 4 days, turning meat twice a day.
- DAY FOUR: Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Strain marinade, reserving liquid and solids. Dredge meat in flour and season with salt and pepper. In large casserole heat vegetable oil over moderate heat until hot. Add beef and brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer meat to platter and discard drippings from casserole. Add butter to pan and heat until hot. Add carrots, onions, reserved marinade solids and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Return meat to casserole, add marinade and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered with foil and the lid, for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until tender.
- Remove meat to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Skim cooking liquid and strain, discarding solids.
- Return marinade to casserole, add sugar, raisins and gingersnaps and simmer 5 minutes. In a small bowl whisk flour with 1/3 cup water. Whisk into simmering liquid and simmer until lightly thickened.
- SERVE: Slice meat across grain, arrange on platter, overlapping slices slightly and nap with some of gravy. Serve remaining gravy separately.