1/1 Photo of Roast-Top Round Sauerbraten
Serve heartily with Spaetzle and Red Cabbage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces larding pork, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2/3 cup onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 lbs top round roast
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1LARDING: Mix larding pork with onion, lemon rind, allspice and salt and pepper. Cut deep incisions into meat with larding needle (flavoring syringe), press some of pork and onion mixture into needle and insert into meat. Continue to lard meat in the same manner until all larding pork is used. Rub remaining onion mixture over meat.
- 2MARINADE: Bring all marinade ingredients to a rapid boil in a heavy saucepan and simmer 5 minutes. Place meat in large heatproof, non-metallic bowl. Pour in hot marinade, cool to room temperature and chill, covered for 4 days, turning meat twice a day.
- 3DAY FOUR: Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Strain marinade, reserving liquid and solids. Dredge meat in flour and season with salt and pepper. In large casserole heat vegetable oil over moderate heat until hot. Add beef and brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Transfer meat to platter and discard drippings from casserole. Add butter to pan and heat until hot. Add carrots, onions, reserved marinade solids and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- 5Return meat to casserole, add marinade and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered with foil and the lid, for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until tender.
- 6Remove meat to a platter and cover loosely with foil. Skim cooking liquid and strain, discarding solids.
- 7Return marinade to casserole, add sugar, raisins and gingersnaps and simmer 5 minutes. In a small bowl whisk flour with 1/3 cup water. Whisk into simmering liquid and simmer until lightly thickened.
- 8SERVE: Slice meat across grain, arrange on platter, overlapping slices slightly and nap with some of gravy. Serve remaining gravy separately.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast-Top Round Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (666 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 870.6
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 242.6 mg
- Sodium 536.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 77.2 g