Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
Never-fail recipe for cooking chicken breasts with the skin and bone still on. It's cheaper than buying boneless/skinless, in my opinion tastier, and just as quick and easy! And if you prefer, you can always take the skin off afterwards. It always makes crispy skin, and the most moist white meat you'll ever eat! And it's easy to add more servings without adding time! *ingredients are estimates, season to your liking.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees (F).
- Heat a dry pan on the stove. (NO OIL!).
- Loosen the skin from the meat to create a small pocket.
- Slip the butter under the skin.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil, then season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- When the pan is hot, place the breast skin side down. Do not touch or move the breast for about three minutes, or until the skin has a nice golden brown crust.
- Place the breast on a baking sheet and put it into the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, check with a meat thermometer (160F), poke it with a fork to see if juices run clear, or leave your fork in for 30 seconds and test it on your hand to see if it's hot. If it fulfills any of the 3 above, take it out, let it sit for 5-10 minutes so the juices won't run out when you cut it.
- optional--use wine to deglaze the pan you used on the stove to make sauce! just pour in wine till the bottom is covered, cook on medium until you can drag a spoon through it and see the bottom for a couple seconds. add salt and pepper to taste.
Great Idea but I took a different route and added 2 tbs of olive oil, pan fried both sides until my rub was carmelized then put the chicken breast in the oven for 20 minutes. My rub consisted of granulated garlic, lawry's seasoned salt, pepper, onion powder, and italian herb seasoning. It was moist and delicious and cooked pretty quickly. Thanks for the idea of using cooking first on a pan.
Never have been a fan of white meat, I have always preferred legs/thighs. I guess I have just never had the white meat cooked properly, and boy does this recipe cook it PROPERLY!!!!! Best best best chicken I have ever had. Even left over, it was delicious, maybe even BETTER! Cannot wait to make it again.
I made this tonight and it was moist and wonderful. I use salt, pepper and basil. I recommend waiting the 10 minutes after taking out of the oven for robustness. Served it with roasted carrots.