Recipe by Hey Jude
Use up your Sunday beef roast in a quick after-work meal with this salad. Serve this with bread sticks or rolls and fresh fruit for dessert! Serves 4 for lunch or 2 for dinner.
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaf
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, freshly grated (1/3 C. do NOT use the stuff in the green can!)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 lb rare roast beef, in julienne strips
- 2 heads boston lettuce, cored,rinsed and dried
- 8 leaves radicchio, rinsed and dried
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 300°; put 2 T of the pine nuts in a pie pan and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, set aside.
- Combine the oil and garlic in a food processor and blend until the garlic is finely chopped; add the basil and the remaining 2 T of pine nuts, the cheese, and the salt, process until fairly smooth, stir in the vinegar and 1/4 C of water, set the pesto vinaigrette aside.
- Tear the lettuce into pieces, shred the radicchio.
- Line a serving platter with the greens, top with the roast beef and sprinkle with the toasted nuts; drizzle some of the pesto vinaigrette over the salad before serving.