1/5 Photos of Roast Beef Cottage Pie
Halcyon Eve's Note:
Cottage Pie is like Shepherd's Pie but with beef instead of lamb or mutton. I made this up to use leftover roast beef from Christmas. The roast was a prime rib, which made for a delicious pie, but other cuts will do. I wouldn't use chuck, but round or rump or sirloin roast should be fine, so long as it's not too tough a cut. Amounts are approximate; this isn't meant to be a very precise recipe. Times also are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes, warmed
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- granulated garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables (I used a blend of petite peas, corn, green beans, and baby carrots)
- 2 1/2-3 cups chopped leftover round tip roast or 2 1/2-3 cups other roast beef
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 375* F.
- 2Press about 2/3 of the potates into the bottom and up the sides of a 2 1/2-3 qt baking dish. Set aside remaining potates.
- 3Prepare gravy according to package directions; set aside.
- 4Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute onion and granulated garlic until onion is tender and just beginning to turn golden.
- 5Add frozen vegetables and saute until just warmed, about 5-6 minutes. Add beef and saute 2-3 minutes longer. Add gravy, mix together well, and heat until bubbling.
- 6Pour beef mixture into potato shell. Carefully spread remaining potatoes over the top (if very full, you can place the baking dish on a cookie sheet to catch drips if it bubbles over).
- 7Bake at 375* F for 25-30 minutes or until top is turning golden and filling is hot. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Beef Cottage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 281.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 4.3 mg
- Sodium 950.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
round tip roast