Cottage Pie is like Shepherd's Pie but with beef instead of lamb or mutton. I made this up to use leftover roast beef from Christmas. The roast was a prime rib, which made for a delicious pie, but other cuts will do. I wouldn't use chuck, but round or rump or sirloin roast should be fine, so long as it's not too tough a cut. Amounts are approximate; this isn't meant to be a very precise recipe. Times also are approximate.
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes, warmed
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- granulated garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables (I used a blend of petite peas, corn, green beans, and baby carrots)
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups chopped leftover round tip roast or 2 1⁄2-3 cups other roast beef
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- Press about 2/3 of the potates into the bottom and up the sides of a 2 1/2-3 qt baking dish. Set aside remaining potates.
- Prepare gravy according to package directions; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute onion and granulated garlic until onion is tender and just beginning to turn golden.
- Add frozen vegetables and saute until just warmed, about 5-6 minutes. Add beef and saute 2-3 minutes longer. Add gravy, mix together well, and heat until bubbling.
- Pour beef mixture into potato shell. Carefully spread remaining potatoes over the top (if very full, you can place the baking dish on a cookie sheet to catch drips if it bubbles over).
- Bake at 375* F for 25-30 minutes or until top is turning golden and filling is hot. Serve immediately.
Delicious comfort food! I used mainly fresh par-steamed veggies, other than adding frozen peas and also threw in some chopped spinach. It was devoured, and my nine year old particularly loved it. Great way to use up leftover beef! Thanks for posting :)
This was very good but it seemed like it could use some spices or something to give it a bit more flavor. I used the Garlic and added Salt and Pepper but it needs something else but I am not one that would know what to add. It is a great way to use up leftover Roast and it is very simple to make. I think most people would like it the way it is but if anyone has a suggestion to kick it up a bit let me know because I will make this again and it is a great recipe for the most part.