Prep 22 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian Cookbook
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion (more if desired)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, stems and pieces
- 1 cup unwashed risotto rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (fresh is better but use what you have.)
- In skillet, over medium high heat, stir fry onions and peas for 1 minute in oil.
- Add rice and stir fry another minute.
- Stir in a generous ladle full of broth, turn heat to medium.
- Keep stirring until broth absorbed.
- Add another ladle full, continuing until all broth is used up and 22 minutes have passed.
- By this time it should be just done.
- Cook an additional minute to absorb all the liquid.
- Add cheese and butter.
- Stir until both disappear into the rice.
- Sprinkle parsley over top and stir. Turn off heat and let rest for 1 to 2 minutes, then serve.