Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Inspired by a favorite dish at a Scottsdale, AZ restaurant. It's the Basil Olive Oil used in the dish that makes it so yummy. I love Risotto but oh, the stirring and stirring... Here is a crockpot version that works great!! This recipe works as a terrific side dish but you can add other items to make it a complete meal in itself, such as shrimp etc.. I hope some of you will attempt this version.
- 1⁄4 cup basil olive oil, plus
- little extra basil olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 3 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup of freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, pricy but worth it (this is a must)
- Heat the basil oil in a saute pan over medium heat and saute the shallots until they have softened.
- Lightly coat the insert of crock pot with some extra basil olive oil.
- Add the sauted shallots and basil oil to the crockpot insert.
- Add the rice and coat it with the mixture.
- Stir in the wine.
- Stir in the chicken broth.
- Add the salt.
- Cover and cook on high for about 2 hours or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Just before serving, stir in the cheese.
- Have extra grated cheese to put on top of each serving.
- If I was going to add shrimp, chicken, corn, salmon etc.
- ,I would add it after the cheese had been stirred in, allowing just enough time to warm up the item but not to overcook it.
Omg, what have I done wrong? I can only imagine, based on previous reviews, that it was my fault and not the recipe's. I followed it completely, shopping for all the specific ingredients since I had none of them on hand save for the salt, so it ended up being somewhat of an expensive experiment. The result was absolute mush. :o( I don't think it was necessarily overcooked as it wasn't dried out or burnt. Maybe it should have cooked on low. The overall flavor was promising, but we couldn't get beyond the texture. Anyway, it was my first time using basil oil, but not my last. The aroma of the shallots cooking in it was divine. Sorry this didn't work out for me, but thank you for posting, zuzuzpetals.
This was a AWESOME recipe. But I totally altered it to try something new....
First off hubby made a mistake with the wine add sweet white wine. Which was rather good in this.
Then we had no shallots so we used onion and garlic.
Then after it cooked two hours we added a half a jar of Vodka Sauce.
Then added breaded chicken cutlets diced to it. Mixed and Served.
Add some garlic bread and this was superb meal!
I started this and had it timed to be done with the rest of dinner - but then eventually realized I hadn't pougged int eh crock pot! I finished it over teh stove just in time, but it was still really delicious.