Recipe by Miss Ellie 48
This is a great dish for company. Can make the day before and reheat it in the microwave. You can cook the squash in the PC but I find it easier just to steam the squash in another pot until soft but not mushy then add it to the risotto at the end.
Top Review by Chef Larf
I made this on a whim the other night. I steamed the butternut squash and then mixed it in a bowl with some butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg and then spooned it onto the risotto. It was absolutely fantastic. Lots of pepper in the risotto helped.
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, plus more to taste
- 3⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the PC and melt over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and onion, stirring often and breaking up the suasage with a wooden spoon, until the sausage loses its raw look, about 6 minutes.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until well coated about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the stock, salt & pepper.
- Lock the lid in place. Bring to high pressure.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and quick release the pressure.
- Rice should be tender, if not return to medium-low heat, adding more stock if needed until rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir in the butternut squash, Parmesan cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Season with nutmeg, add additional salt & pepper to your taste.