1/2 Photos of Risotto With Asparagus, Mint and Lemon
Now that it is spring, I thought I'd add a tasty asparagus dish. This is adapted from "Cook with Jamie," by Jamie Oliver.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided use
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or 1 1/2 cups carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup vermouth or 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1Remove tips from asperagus and slice stalks into thin disks.
- 2Pour stock and water into medium saucepan and heat to low simmer. In 3-quart or larger pot, heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft and translucent. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until all the grains are well-coated. Quickly pour in vermouth or wine and stir until it has evaporated.
- 3Turn heat down to medium low and begin adding warmed stock to rice a ladleful (about 1/2 cup) at a time, stirring after each addition and waiting until the stock has been absorbed before adding more. Stir often enough to prevent rice from sticking to pan.
- 4When about half the stock has been absorbed, stir in asparagus slices and tips, then continue adding stock by the ladleful and stirring until it is absorbed. About 20 minutes after you began the process, taste rice for doneness. It should be tender, but not mushy, with a bit of crunch at the center. You may not need to add all the stock. The end texture should be creamy and slightly loose.
- 5Turn off heat and stir in remaining butter, cheese, mint and lemon zest and juice. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. Cover pan and let risotto rest for a few minutes before serving. Pass additional Parmesan at the table.
Browse Our Top Short-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto With Asparagus, Mint and Lemon
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.2
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 22.6 mg
- Sodium 217.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: