1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Alan in SW Florida's Note:
Arborio rice, grown in Northern Italy, is the type preferred for risotto. Serve as an entree or first course. The key to success: Have all your ingredients ready before you start.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, scraped and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 large zucchini, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow squash, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup onion, minced and divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/4 cups arborio rice (1 pound) or 2 1/4 cups short-grain rice (1 pound)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1Have the asparagus, carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash cut up and ready. Set these vegetables aside. Bring the chicken broth and water just to a simmer in a medium saucepan; keep warm.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup minced onion and the minced garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add asparagus and carrots; cook 2 minutes. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cook until just tender, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 3Heat 2 more tablespoons olive oil in same sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup more minced onion and cook 3 minutes. Add the arborio rice (or short-grain rice), stirring to coat. Stir in the dry white wine and cook until almost absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup reserved broth and cook, stirring constantly, until almost absorbed. Simmer, adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until broth is absorbed before adding more, about 20 minutes. Rice will be creamy and just tender.
- 4Stir in 2 more tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, chopped mint, grated lemon peel, peas, and reserved vegetables.
- 5Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Risotto Primavera
Serving Size: 1 (591 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.0
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 16.7 mg
- Sodium 729.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 11.6 g