Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from one of my Food and Wine cookbooks. This is an adaptation of a Venetian recipe. Serve with some crusty bread. Comfort food dinner. YUM!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, preferably arborio
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 lb deli ham, diced
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot, melt the butter over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and boil until it almost evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Boil until the liquid is reduce to approximately 7 cups, about 20 minutes.
- Add the rice, parsley and salt and cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, ham, Parmesan and pepper.
We thought this was good for a Wednesday night dinner. It made good use of some leftover ham. Thanks for posting!