Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great rice recipe that I clipped from First magazine. It is a perfect side dish to any meat and uses ingredients that you usually have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, bring chicken stock to boil.
- Lower heat and keep stock at a simmer.
- Add rice to pan with onions and cook, stirring until all grains are coated, about 1 minute.
- Add wine and cook, stirring until wine is absorbed, about 1 minute more.
- Add 1/2 cup stock and simmer, stirring frequently, until almost absorbed.
- Continue cooking in this manner, adding stock 1/2 cup at a time, until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in peas, milk and cheese.
- Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.