Prep 72 hrs
Cook 6 hrs
I quote Anthony Bourdain "Jesus this dish is easy." A kind of pate like dish. Smear on toasted baguette croutons, have a cocktail and let the party begin...this is a WONDERFUL appetizer!!
- 2 lbs pork belly, cut into 2 in cubes (5 cm)
- 1 lb pork shoulder, cut into 2 in cubes (5cm)
- 4 cups water
- 1 bouquet garni (1 sprig flat parsley, 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, 1 bay leaf -all tied with a string so its easy to ret)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 lb pork fat, cut into thin slices
- Place the pork belly and shoulder in a heavy bottomed pot. Add water and the bouquet garni and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- After 6 hours, stir in the salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Discard the bouquet garni.
- Once the meat is cooled enough to handle, transfer it to a mixing bowl, using forks, shred the meat (not mush, SHREDS is the key)
- Shovel some still warm pork into your mouth -- you know you want to.
- Divide the mixture among several small containers. Top each portion with a slice or two of pork fat to completely cover it, fold the mixture together a bit then wrap each container in plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator and let them sit for 3 days before serving. Don't cheat on the 3 days because it just gets better as the flavors marry up!