Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been a favorite with family and friends. This was how my Italian great grandmother made it and passed down. I always double the recipe because everyone wants left overs. We have it with salad and garlic bread
- 1 lb italian hot sausage
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 roma tomatoes (diced)
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 ounces dry white wine
- 8 ounces half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- cornstarch (if wanted for thicker sauce)
- rigatoni pasta, shells
- grated parmesan cheese
- Take a large deep fry pan and put in the olive oil and put on medium heat. Remove the casings from sausage and crumble the meat into the fry pan along with the chopped onions and cook slowly until sausage is lightly browned then drain.
- Add the tomato sauce, wine, garlic,and diced tomatoes. Turn heat up to medium high and bring mixture to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Turn heat back up to medium high and add the half and half. Bring mixture to slight boil. If you want thicker sauce mix corn starch with water and then add to sauce stirring in to desired thickness. Turn down heat and let simmer while you cook your rigatoni shells according to package directions.
- Drain shells well. Serve individual serving of noodles with sauce spooned over. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
We loved it!,
This was fabulous. I did it just as written and did add a little cornstarch - maybe 1 tsp. This will become a regular at our house.