Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mom's old fashioned recipe for bread that's made in a 2-lb. coffee can!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, blend in ginger and 1 T sugar. Let stand in warm place until mix is bubbly (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in remaining sugar, salt, milk and oil.
- Mix in flour one cup at a time. Place dough in well greased 2 lb coffee can. Let rise until doubled in size. Bake 60 minutes or until top is brown.