Top Review by chocolatebaker
I have been baking brownies since I was a kid and I have to say this is one of my favorite recipes although I did alter it slightly. I don't like to use shortening (Crisco) so instead I use 1 cup of butter. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Melt shortening, butter over low heat or in the microwave.
- Remove from heat and add cocoa, blending well with a wooden spoon.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well, by hand, after each addition. (It is important to add the eggs individually and to mix them by hand. If you don't, the brownies do not turn out near as good.).
- Stir in vanilla, flour, and salt.
- DO NOT OVER BEAT!
- Fold in nuts.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Extra Rich Variation: melt 4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate with butter and shortening. Proceed as directed; reducing cocoa to 3/4 cups and increasing flour to 1 1/4 cup. These are sinfully good!