Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
on peggy's request and as a thank you for the wonderful kabuli. it comes from the cookbook by the farmers union. very popular in belgium especially because of its easy but yummy recipes. it's a great succes when I serve my brothers this...judge for yourself!! (it is great just by itself (for my vegetarian friends) or really good with some chicken fillets.)
- Peel the onion and chop it in fine pieces.
- Clean the mushrooms and chop into fine pieces.
- Stew the onion in butter (that's the 50 g butter, but you really don't need that much).
- Add in rice and let stew for a short bit.
- Stir in the wine (optional) the chicken stock and tomato-purée. Let everything stew for 15 to 20 minutes (covered).
- Five minutes before the end add the mushrooms and the parsley.
- At the very last minute you can add the cheese (again optional).
We thoroughly enjoyed this delicious and easy-to-make side dish. For those of you who follow the antics of fussy Aunt Esther (she who does not eat rice), she ate all of her serving. I think the addition of tomato puree and a generous sprinkling of grated parmesan disguised the true nature of the recipe. Hope you'll be posting more recipes.
PAC Fall 2007 ~ Yummy! This to me is comfort food! I used Basmati rice and also added some minced garlic to this. Used some grated parmesan. This is definitely one to make often.
Made for PAC Fall 2007, simple and delicious! I also omitted the cheese, mostly because I used it as a side dish rather than a main. I served it with Chicken Stroganoff, so it was a mushroomy meal, but my family love mushrooms! Thanks for a great recipe, Salad Slave!