Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can use cooked frozen or cooked fresh corn or in place of the canned, also adjust the spice amounts to taste. This makes a good vegetarian dish if you substitute vegetable broth or water for the chicken broth. This will feed 3-4 people but can easily be doubled if desired.
- 3 -6 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn niblets
- 4 cups hot cooked rice, divided (can use more rice)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare four bowls or plates.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in onion, red bell pepper and dried chili flakes; cook for 5 minutes adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Add in the chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, pinch coriander, drained black beans and corn; bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper; reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes (adjusting all the spices to taste).
- Place 1 cup of rice (or more) in each of the four bowls or plates, then divide and top with the bean mixture, then sprinkle with about 1/2 cup shredded cheese.