Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This a simple, creamy rice pudding. If you want to make this diary free just substitute the milk with coconut milk.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup coconut milk (2 cups if not using milk)
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind (optional)
- Place rice and cinnamon stick in a pot and cover with water. Bring rice to boil, turn down heat and simmer approx 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Add coconut milk, milk (if using), vanilla and brown sugar. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lemon rind and simmer until almost all liquid is absorbed.
- (Make sure there is still some of the creamy liquid otherwise it will become more cake-like.).
- Serve with cinnamon, or mango slices and vanilla ice cream.
I left the cinnamon stick in the whole time it was cooking for a more pronounced cinnamon flavor and left out the lemon rind. I LOVE this rice pudding!!
Just made this...tasted it while it was hot and it was super delicious! We'll see how it is tomorrow morning for breakfast! We love coconut so I used all coconut milk and added a little bit of coconut extract as well at the very end.
Christie, I made this pudding not too long ago with the addition of 1 tsp. cardamon instead of the cinnamon stick, as I love the flavor of cardamon. I also added a handful of raisins in with the water for the rice, so they would plump up. I didn't add the lemon rind. I had this along with a Thai dinner, and it was the perfect ending to a lovely meal!