Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a quick and easy pilaf with my favorite spice--cardamom! If you don't have cardamom on hand, you can omit it--the pilaf is still delicious without it. I improvised it one evening when I was short of canned chicken broth and time. I like the recipe because it combines two of my favorite rices with lentils. The lentils add protein. The dish is a perfect accompaniment to chicken baked with a generous sprinkling of cardamom.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 264.98 ml brown rice
- 59.14 ml lentils
- 28.39 ml wild rice
- 946.36 ml water
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4.92 ml ground cardamom
- 14.78 ml chicken bouillon granules
- Remove the inner pot from the rice cooker.
- Place the rices and lentils in a sieve, rinse under running water.
- Add the onion, the rices, and the lentils to the inner pot. Add the water, the pepper, the cardamom, and the chicken bouillon granules. Stir ingredients.
- Return inner pot to rice cooker and press "cook." If pilaf is not sufficiently done after it switches from "cook" to "warm," re-close the rice cooker and keep on "warm" for another 5-10 minutes. Cooking time should be approximately 45 minutes, your rice cooker may vary.