Recipe by zeldaz51
The exact recipe from Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet". Great for a buffet dinner. Prep time does not include cooking the rice or beans.
Top Review by Omm
I love this recipe and have been making it for 30 years. Before I began to reduce fat in our meals, I made it 2 or 3 times a month. Now I make it only occasionally but it's still terrific. Incidentally, the last time I made it I substituted quinoa for the brown rice, added chopped jalapenos and spinach. It was terrific. It always is. The print in the original cookbook is so small I began looking on-line, hoping to find the recipe so I could print it. Thanks so much for posting it.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups cooked black beans (or black-eyed peas, pinto beans, etc.)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese, thinned with a little low-fat milk (or thin with some yogurt)
- 3⁄4 lb shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped black olives (optional)
- onion (optional)
- fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Mix together cooked rice, cooked beans, garlic, onion, and chiles. In a casserole, spread alternating layers of the rice-beans mixture, ricotta cheese, and jack cheese, ending with a layer of rice and beans.
- Bake for 30 minutes. During the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Garnish before serving.