Arroz con Queso (Rice with Cheese)
My friend Jolene gave me this one. I think she got it from "Diet for a Small Planet". It's one of those "keep all of the ingredients on hand for emergencies" recipes. When you burn something, quietly get of it and make this. No one will know. Prep. time doesn't include cooking the rice.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 cups cooked rice (white or Brown Basmatti works great)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas (I've used other types of beans succsessfully)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can ortega chilies, diced
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese, thinned with milk 'til spreadable
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix Cheddar and Jack together.
- Mix Rice, Beans, Garlic, Onion, and Chilies together.
- In a large casserole dish spread 1/3 of the rice/bean mixture.
- Top that with 1/2 of the cheese mixture.
- top that with 1/2 of the Ricotta.
- Then the next 1/3 of the rice/bean mixture.
- Followed by the last half of the cheese.
- Followed by the last half of the Ricotta.
- Then the last 1/3 of the rice/bean mixture.
- Bake 40 min.
- Remove from the oven, top with Black Olives.
- Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
- Bake 10 min. more.
- Remove from oven and let rest 20 min.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a good side dish to grilled chicken - it also enabled me to use up some leftover white rice! I was unable to locate black eyed peas in our market so I substituted with black beans. My husband doesn't like black olives so I omitted them. Next time, I'll kick it up a notch by adding salsa to the rice mixture. Thanx pierre!Reply