Chile Con Queso (Melted Cheese Dip)
This is an amazing recipe if you like cheese. Try dunking red and green bell pepper strips and tortilla chips. From Sunset Mexican Cookbook.
- Ready In:
- fried tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies or 1 jalapeno chile, diced
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1 cup chihuahua cheese or 1 cup edam cheese
- 6 medium green bell peppers or 6 medium red bell peppers, seeded and cut int 1/2 inch wide strips
- In a 3-4 quart pan, combine oil and onion.
- Cook, stirring, over medium heat until onion is soft (about 7 minutes).
- Add chilies and cream.
- Cook, stirring, until hot.
- Reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour into a chafing or fondue dish over a low flame or into a dish on an electric warming tray (low setting).
- Offer with bell pepper strips and tortilla chips.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is great :) I used can diced chilies but another time I'll try with jalapeno. I didn't have heavy cream, so I used whole milk and added a little bit of low-fat cream cheese to give more texture and thickness. I used white cheddar cheese (low-fat). It was really good. I'll do it again :) Thanks Heydarl :) Made for the Saucy Senoritas of ZWT5
YUMMY! This is a keeper for sure. The only thing I did differently is I roasted my red bell peppers first, which brought out some sweetness in them. I think next time I make it I will try Chef*Lee's suggestion of adding some well-drained Ro-Tel. Made for ZWT5 '09 for a fellow Hell's Kitchen Angels team mate. Thanks Heydarl!
Oh, goodness, so many of my favourite things in one recipe. Cheese, cream, red peppers... I made this for a drinks and nibbles evening I had with some friends and this went down a treat. I used a lovely local cheddar and a fresh chili pepper and served it with home made tortilla chips, crudites and fresh bread. So yummy and so decadent. I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks for sharing - made for ZWT5.