Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is one of my favorite dishes from my childhood. My grandmother would make this dish often and as a teenager I loved it. Although it is traditionally served as a side dish for any type of meat I usually eat it all by itself as a meal. I just season it with black pepper and red pepper and find that it doesn't need any additional salt. The soups are salty and I use salted butter so no need to add more. To me this is the epitome of comfort food.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 5 quart dutch oven melt butter and add mushrooms.
- Saute' mushrooms for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chicken broth, cream of mushroom soup and french onion soup.
- Add black pepper and red pepper to taste.
- Heat just until it starts to simmer.
- Add rice, stirring well to mix.
- Place in oven and bake covered for 1 hour.
- After one hour remove and stir well to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes.