Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I'm always looking for great rhubarb recipes-this is one of them. I love how warm and sweet this is! You can use fresh or frozen rhubarb.
- 8 slices bread, lightly toasted, cut into 1/2 " cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- Put bread cubes in a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Melt butter with milk in a saucepan.
- Pour over bread and let sit 15 minutes.
- Mix together the eggs, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Stir into bread mixture.
- Top with raw sugar and pecans.
- Bake at 350 55-60 minutes until set.
- Serve warm.
This is SOOOO good! Fantastic rhubarb taste with the comforting warmth of bread pudding. It's a great way to use up rhubarb and unfresh bread. I used sugared pecans on the top and only a cup of sugar because I don't like things too sweet and I think it came out just right. I also used skim milk and cut the butter to 2 T.
Instead of bread I used 3 day-old croissants. Sometimes I use day-old plain sweetrolls in my bread puddings. This recipe is easy to make and delicious. I, too, used only one cup of sugar. Will definitely make again.
Definitely a 5 star rating for this dessert! I served it to guests and everyone enjoyed it too. A great way to use up the abundance of fresh rhubarb in springtime. I forgot to toast the bread!! I did use a good quality white bread and it worked well in the recipe. We all loved the sweet custard with the tart rhubarb! I added nutmeg instead of cinnamon, topped with 1/4 cup of raw sugar, all in all a great recipe!