Recipe by cslowe97
Tiny bite of a gluten free version of red velvet cake! perfect for Valentine's Day! See more of my gluten free recipes at www.gingerlemongirl.com
Top Review by lisann09
Nice texture to the cake on the first day. It was a little dry though with not alot of flavor. I think next time i make it i'll add extra flavoring or cocoa powder. Still, the next day the texture wasn't chewy as with some gluten free cakes.
- 2⁄3 cup millet flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice flour
- 2⁄3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup regular milk mixed with 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese, softened
- red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare mini cupcake tins or heart-shaped tins with paper liners or spritz with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients (excluding sugar!).
- In another large bowl mix together buttermilk or soured milk with vinegar and 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- With an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time until well incorporated.
- Slowly add half of dry mixture, followed by half of buttermilk mixture to creamed sugar mixture.
- Beat until just combined.
- Repeat until all of flour and buttermilk mixtures have been incorporated.
- Add 1/2 oz. of red food coloring, or more to your liking and mix well with mixer.
- Do not overbeat.
- In a small bowl, whisk or beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into cake batter.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. WATCH CAREFULLY! You do not want these little cuties to burn!
- For Icing:.
- Combine powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, and 1 teaspoons vanilla extract and mix until creamy. Spread on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!