- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 1⁄3 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease 2 shiny madeleine pans.
- Beat the sugar, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla extract with an electric mixer for 5 minutes on medium-high, or until mixture looks thick and pale.
- Add melted butter and red food coloring, and beat until blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Fold dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Fill each cup of the madeleine pans about 3/4 full (about 1 tablespoon per madeleine).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or when madeleines spring back when lightly touched.
- Immediately remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- Cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar just before serving (optional).