1/1 Photo of Red Velvet Enchilada Sauce
2 hrs 20 mins
I Cook Therefore I Am's Note:
This recipe was given to me by a co-worker, who received it from his mother-in-law. I was planning on making enchiladas one night, and happened to show this co-worker the recipe that I was planning on using for the sauce. He promptly told me to hold off before using that recipe because he had the ultimate enchilada sauce recipe. He was right, this is excellent, but not for the faint of heart, it turns out pretty spicy, but boy is it flavorful! The original recipe had 1 cup of rice milk where I used heavy cream, and a lot less of it. Make this vegan by substituting with the rice milk, and if you aren't a fan of hot food but still want to use heavy cream just use a little more to cut the heat. This recipe makes about 4 cups, but it's not a bad idea to double the recipe and then freeze what you don't use for next time. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the very top of the head of garlic off to just expose the tops of the garlic cloves.
- 2Place the head of garlic and the half onion on a large piece of tin foil and drizzle with oil.
- 3Seal the top of the foil so that the garlic and onion are a little packet
- 4Roast the onion and garlic for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
- 5Cut the tomatoes in half and place in a pot with the water.
- 6Squeeze as much of the softened garlic into the pot, and add the onion and thyme to the pot as well.
- 7Simmer for 45 minutes partially covered.
- 8Let the mixture cool down a bit, and then put everything from the pot in a food processor or blender with the chipotle chilis and the adobo.
- 9Process until smooth and return to the pot.
- 10Mix the heavy cream or rice milk into the sauce and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Enchilada Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.9
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 16.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo