Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is perfect for a chilly night.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs unpeeled small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 8 cups milk
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onion
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, saute the onion, celery and bacon until vegetables are tender; drain well.
- Add the milk, water, bouillon, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into soup. Add parsley and potatoes; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese and green onions.